Mina Hofstetter was Pionieer and Hans Müller (1891-1988) Founder of the organic agriculture. Some of their mainthoughts and aims were:
- Healthy food comes out of a healthy soil.
- Less quantity but higher quality.
- The soil is a living organism- soilmanagement therefore only superficial.
- Groundcover as often as possible.
- Compost is the ideal feriliser.
- Stoneflower is a precious soil improover.
- Green manuring instead of fallow fields.
Our crop rotation begins with 2 years of white clover, Those two years are building the basis for natural fertilizer as well as for a healthy buildup of the soil.
1st + 2nd Year: white clover, 3rd year: wheat, 4th year: oats and barley, 5th year: spelt-wheat and Rye.
For us is important to improve the soil-condition step by step. Yields of 4 tons of cereals are possible. We calculate with 2 tons average over all the parcels and crop rotation. The trend is increasing, because some of the former problem fields have improved and start to produce increasing yields.
It is our aim, to decrease the number of mechanical passing through the fields, i.e. mulch-seeding of cereals into the clover. In this case, already in the second year a harvest can be expected, with the same positive impact as the clover/grass mixture
Our system of Manfred and Friedrich Wenz produces its fertility without any additions of fertiliser. The ploughless cultivation system tries to maintain the natural set-up and structure of the soil, which is the livingroom for the earthworm and many other important soil-microorganisms. Therefore the soil is slacked in a depth to maximal 5 cm. With that, high earthworm populations can be acheived which make the soil ferile and work on it naturally and efficient. A good earthworm population can in the long-term dissolve plough compressions and other soil compressions. A healthy soil saves and infiltrates water, reduces pollutants, recycles without losses and produces our food. It is crumbly, humos and alive.
More about the system of Manfred und Friedrich Wenz you can find in the following movie in german: „phlougless agriculture, biodynamic, by Wenz“. To receive at: Frumenta AG, Bereich Verlag, Stollenrain 10, Postfach 344, CH-4144 Arlesheim, Fax: +41 706 96 44
Advantages of the system:
- High surfaceperformance through minimal soilmanagement
- Low need of driving forces
- Low need of machines
- increases the ground load capacity
- Maintaining of the natural set-up and structure of the soil, produces good structure
- Produces fertile soil with the means of the own field
- No need of ferilisers (Nitrogenfixationdue to a high stake of legumins in the crop rotation)
- Low running costs
- in praxis tried an tested system (Manfred and Friedrich Wenz)
- low pressure of diseases in the crop rotation trough high organic activity in the soil.
- High quality of products ( wheatproteincontents of > 14 % possible!)
- Low investment costs
- High degree of independence of the farm from third persons
- low peak financing because of ommited investationa in aids such as feriliser, pesticides… and therefore lower financial risk
- more constant yields